ILLNESS AND ISOLATION.

Not feeling well can be so isolating, especially as an adult who lives alone. When I'm sick or not feeling well in other ways, I tend to keep to myself, and as I don't feel well I can't really go outside either. When you don't have energy to do much, you are stuck in your own head, circling around your own thoughts. 

Lately I've been going through something that hasn't gotten better after a couple days and it has been impacting my mood and it got me thinking a lot. I do wonder how chronically ill people handle it when they are completely isolated from the rest of the world. Having internet has definitely helped a lot so that you can still connect with people and explore things and entertain yourself. But it's still hard when you don't have much energy from not sleeping well and being in discomfort, which also impacts your ability to concentrate and process. Which again impacts the things you're able to do. 

YOUR WORLD FEELS NARROW

The little things you are able to do become the big wins of your day. Managed to make food for yourself, win. Managed to put laundry on, win. Managed to chat to someone for a bit, win. Managed to journal a little, win. Managed to finish a punch needle piece, big win. Managed to take the bin out, take a walk or buy some groceries, massive win. 

Life becomes full of simple things that you feel so happy you have managed to do, but then reality hits. You are not bouncing back to feeling well and not able to go back to work like you had planned. You're not able to see friends and go through travel plans or go to events you wanted to go to. Your life is becoming so narrow and you don't know when to reschedule things as you don't know when you'll feel better and suddenly you have to cancel as you don't see an end to how you're feeling. 

CONQUER YOUR FEAR

Not knowing what will happen, when you'll get better and how that being better looks like, is terrifying. The stability you took for granted has been taken away from you. When you're supposed to rest to get to get better, all you can feel is anxiety over what if I don't. Is there something I should be doing better and is there something I can do so that I'm not feeling like I'm falling behind. Life feels so fragile. From one moment in life, everything could start slowly falling through the cracks. That is a very scary image. 

Based on previous experience I know I will bounce back, and with the support of professionals, getting some guidance is a big help. However this has really made me think about how to make life work for me and what are the adjustments that I need to make to ensure I will stay healthy and happy for long term. 

"EQUALITY MEANS EACH INDIVIDUAL OR GROUP OF PEOPLE IS GIVEN THE SAME RESOURCES OR OPPORTUNITIES. EQUITY RECOGNIZES THAT EACH PERSON HAS DIFFERENT CIRCMUSTANCES AND ALLOCATES THE EXACT RESOURCES AND OPPORTUNITIES NEEDED TO REACH AN EQUAL OUTCOME."

There are so many people on earth and each and everyone has different needs and areas where they need support. By having the correct support, everyone is able to have a fulfilling and happy life. This is why I believe in equity instead of equality. I believe we need to support each other for us all to be at a place where we can be okay and happy. And if something doesn't work for one, lets figure out another way to make it work. 

It takes a lot to learn about yourself and a big part of it is to be honest of who you are and what your strengths are and how you can succeed with what you have. We all have something valuable to bring to the table but we also have to be prepared to put our expectations to the side and learn to be more open minded on how to best utilize the skills people bring. If we only focus on the opportunities to improve, we are not focusing on the magic that comes from cultivating someone's skills and passions. But like I said the support has to be there for the parts that need it. Instead of seeing the lack of ability or skill as a negative, lets be creative and figure out a way to succeed despite that. I'd rather make the magic happen and see someone succeed and celebrate that, than feel miserable over everything that is not going right. Which doesn't mean we ignore the needs that are required to get the end result, but that we fulfil those needs in other ways and support each other to get the success!

SMALL SIMPLE STEPS

Everything we build is made up of various parts from big to small. So even now when I have no energy or when I can't move much further than my bed or my home, there are small steps I am able to make myself feel a little better and to get myself where I want to be. 

Be honest with yourself. 
  1. List what do you need to have a fulfilling life.
  2. Take one item at a time, start from the easiest or one that you need the most right now and break it down to as small parts as you can.
  3. What are you able to do?
  4. What support do you need?
And last, if you are able to, what support can you give to others?



Be kind to yourself and others!






Comments